Thursday 14 March 2019

Snowdonia Drone Tour Feb 11 th 2019

Today I am going to tour around various locations around Snowdonia , and fly as many as I can with the Phantom 4 pro drone.   The weather for once is looking very good and there is still a small amount of snow on the mountain tops.
Starting off near Capel Curig on the A4086 to Beddgelert , one of the finest roads in Snowdonia.    The view towards the Snowdon Horseshoe is fabulous, I have stopped in one of the many laybys alongside the twin lakes of Llynnau  Mymbyr  to make my first short flight to show this fabulous road that leads towards Snowdon.

           A five frame Vertorama , Plenty of snow still on Snowdon and Crib Goch by looks of it.
I have four batteries for the drone, so I have to make the most of them, this first flight lasted 5 minutes , I shot the five individual frames at a height of 380 ft.




I have now driven further down the road, almost to the Pen-y-Pass turn off actually.  parked up and I have walked over the road and up towards the waterfalls that come from a small lake up behind the Pen-y-pass hostel called Llyn Cwmffynnon .   The light is looking fabulous as I take the drone up , I have approximately 80% left on this first battery so need to get the images while the light is good.   the cloud is moving fairly quickly so the first couple of images I have shot look the best.





Crib Goch with Snowdon summit just visible behind to the left clearly visible in this Vertorama image, the cloud really makes the image.




                                                           A full nine frame panorama.





After a 15 minute flight I bring the drone back, that's the first battery finished but managed some great images.    Now I will continue down past the Snowdon viewpoint where I took some images from last trip and will go down to Llyn Gwynant , hopefully the surface will be calm enough for some reflection images.
Parked up next to the water I take a short 5 minute flight, just long enough to shoot a couple of Vertorama sets, the main area for reflections is rippled so I just leave it for now with just these 2 images, both 5 frames merged in Lightroom.

Looking down the lake towards Y-Aran I think it is, the Watkin path and its fabulous waterfalls are not far away, but I don't think I will go up there today.




                                                Looking back up towards Pen-y-pass
                                      My Tutorial on Making/editing Vertorama images is HERE




Now, where to go next?    the Watkin path does look inviting as I drive past but I think I will go down towards Beddgelert forest area for a change, as Mollster is with me we can go for a walk around the woods.
First I stop just off the turning by the railway track, a phone shot first...………




Now another quick 4 minute flight on the second battery  to take a couple of Panorama setts , the light is still really good.

                 Just 177 ft high for this  9 frame panorama, its getting quite windy unfortunately.

                                         The snow is visible on Snowdon in the distance.




              Walking Mollster now while looking for another location to take some more images.





             There is a lot of deforestation taking place around here, and its extremely wet underfoot.




I have found a small clearing in the trees to fly from,   so another short 6 minute flight again on the 2nd battery , almost straight up through the trees to 380 ft.

                                                          6 frames merged for this one.




This Vertorama I have shot from just 80 ft 




                                                         21 frame 180 dgree Panorama





That's the second battery finished , a good walk around the forest and soaking wet feet also!

Now time to head down the a4085 towards Rhyd Ddu , I will either walk around Llyn Dywarchen or maybe climb up towards Mynydd Mawr.     As I reach the turn off towards Nantile valley I have decided to walk around the lake and climb up Clogwynygarreg instead to get some images, going up towards Mynydd it will be way too windy to fly !

                    That's the rock I am going to climb!  maybe get a drone selfi from the top .




                                                                  View towards Snowdon








Now I have climbed/scrambled  up to the top, glorious views across Nantile valley with Mynydd Mawr on the right side.  its very windy so will be very careful and not fly very high .





Here I start a 14 minute flight, as its windy and gusting quite strong 66 ft is the highest I take the drone up,  but that is more than enough for these images , Drone selfi first .
I shot these 2 using the automated shooting mode selecting 5 seconds between each frame .







                    Fabulous late afternoon light looking over Llyn Dywarchen now .
A 4 frame vertorama , I always shoot 5 or 6 individual frame for these images,  adjusting the exposure manually for each frame as the camera pans down.  for this finished image I discarded the 5th frame as the bottom sloped away and looked distorted in the 5 frame stitch.




                           looking down the valley towards Llyn Nantile Uchaf  in the distance.




                                                                    A 9 frame Panorama.




That's the 3rd battery down to 60% , time to get back down now. its too windy to fly any more here.
I think heading back to the Twin Lakes is a good idea just in case there might be a good sunset .





  last phone picture before leaving.   I am driving back the way I came , as I drive up past Snowdon viewpoint the summit is completely covered in cloud and its building up significantly all around over the Mountains, I guess no sunset tonight.

Parking up at the large layby in the middle of the Llynnau Mymbyr I will use my last battery to get some images over the lake looking up towards Capil Cureg.

                                                                    A 4 frame merge.



4 frame Vertorama,  I had shot 6 frames but the bottom 2 were distorted too much to use in the final image when stitched together.





           Topdown over the trees, the low light really brings the images to life illuminating the tops .







That's the end of a superb and varied day in Snowdonia .

No comments:

Post a Comment